I once gave a friend a birthday card that said, “A fun party is one where you leave with your underwear on your head, but a GREAT party is when you leave with someone ELSE’S!” Ok, so this tip isn’t about underwear but it is about parties and head-wear.
This was a last minute addition to my little girls birthday decorations. It didn’t even occur to me to have a birthday hat for her until the afternoon of her birthday. Luckily I had everything on hand to whip one up!
Here’s the lowdown:
1. Cut a half circle out of 12×12 cardstock. The half circles radius should be at least 6 inches.
2. Roll into a cone and mark the front center and where the edge overlaps.
3. Use a pencil to write/draw a message on the front where you marked the center. In my case I made a big 1 and BIRTHDAY underneath. I added a little glitter to the number to make it stand out.
4. While waiting for the glitter to dry, make the topping ribbons. Two types of ribbon in various colors will add a lot of interest to the hat. Cut about 6 strips into 4 inch lengths. Tie in the middle and then tape the tails to the inside center so that it will stick out of the point.
6. Punch two holes on the sides for securing the hat on the wearer. I used ribbon but think elastic would have been a better choice. Attach the string through the holes.
7. Using double sided tape, tape a 1/2 inch width ribbon to the rim of the hat.
These would make great New Years Eve hats too!